Sunday, December 4, 2011

Injured Chicken!

Injured Chicken!


When I got home today we found one of my beautiful chickens was laying injured amongst the leaves in the goat pen. She was limping on her good leg and then burrowing into the leaves. It was nice to see that one of her sisters refused to leave her side.


We brought her inside and examined her, it looked like she had a puncture wound and a possible broken leg. I put some neo-sporin on the open wound and gave her some chicken electrolytes with a bit of aspirin mixed in.


I didn't have any tongue depressors to use as a splint so I substituted some card stock as a replacement.


The card stock was covered with some vet wrap to hold it in place.


The chicken has been moved inside to Sara's kennel to see how she does. I read that injured chickens are attacked by their coop mates, I'm not sure if that is true but I don't want to take any chances.

I'm not sure if a chicken can survive a broken/injured leg, but I hope so.

Sara wants her kennel back and Patch, Mocha, and Chai Chai are very interested in our visitor, but they had better get used to it as the kennel may have to house kids and/or lambs this Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment